The New Britain 1 classroom is composed of students, ranging from 10-21years old, with severe medical and multiple disabilities. We best service our students by providing individualized education, vocational programming and a variety of assistive and adaptive technology. Our classroom is located in a building shared with the Hospital for Special Care, near a shopping plaza that students access to purchase groceries for the classroom, and our adolescents increase their independence by doing laundry at the laundromat.
Community experiences have included visiting museums, the library, farms and fairs, as well as going bowling, to the movies and recycling. The remainder of the school day is spent on functional academics in language arts, math, science, and social studies. Our students navigate through interactive lessons, games and learning activities, by using the Smart Board and adaptive equipment.
- Highly Individualized Instruction
- Communication and Social Skills
- Certified Special Education Teacher
- Experienced Assistant Teachers
- Assistive/Adaptive Technology
- Physical, Occupational and Speech/Language Therapies (transdisciplinary team)
Music and Art Therapy, Cooking, Recreation and Leisure Activities, Physical Fitness
Nursing Services as Required
- Self-Help/Daily Living Skills and Independent
Community Based Learning
Extended School Year (249 days) with Rolling Admissions
- Family and Inter-agency Collaboration