Maintaining and enhancing the professional development of staff who work with people with disabilities and raising the awareness of the community about living and working with people with disabilities.
Education for staff, communities and schools. Provides comprehensive new employee orientation and extensive staff retraining, Oak Hill also offers workshops to the community and schools on disabilities awareness and issues relating to the support of people with disabilities.
Comprehensive and on-going education for Oak Hill Staff
New and existing Oak Hill Staff is trained in the following:
- Signs and symptoms of illness, Basic Care Skills, Medication Administration, Infection Control, Physical/Psychological Management Techniques (PMT), American Red Cross First Aid and Safety, American Red Cross CPR, Human Rights and Abuse, Back Safety, Defensive Driving, Passenger Assistance Techniques, Positive Behavioral Supports, Orientation and Mobility
- As well as the educational and skill assessment necessary to meet the requirements for nursing delegation
Comprehensive education for people in the community
Educators, Healthcare Professionals and those who care for people with disabilities. The following education modules are offered to the community:
American Red Cross Community CPR, American Red Cross Community First Aid and Safety, Defensive Driving (National Safety Council), Signs and Symptoms/Basic Care Skills, Infection Control (OSHA), Back Safety, Disability Awareness (vision and visual impairments), Supporting Relationship and Sexuality, American Sign Language
Features of Professional Development
- Certified Instructors
- Strong Educational focus
- Fully equipped education facility (located on Oak Hill’s main campus at 120 Holcomb Street in Hartford). Get directions.
Professional Development Staff
Our staff includes highly qualified and dedicated people who ensure that classes are both educational and enjoyable. Comprehensive and on-going education provides direct care workers, managers and supervisors with the expertise needed to meet the educational, physical, emotional and psychological needs of people with multiple disabilities and to guarantee the safety of clients and staff.
Can I custom design an education workshop to meet the needs of my school?
Yes, please call Jim Pellino, Staff Development Manager, Oak Hill Professional Development (860) 242-2274; or (860) 769-3862, email jim.pellino@OakHillCT.org
Other Oak Hill Education Opportunities
- Relationship & Sexuality Education
- Assistive Technology
- Professional Development for Special Education Teachers and parents
Oak Hill’s CD-ROM based American Sign Language course received a Merit Award from the New York International Association of Business Communicators.